Debbie has been all in from day one, and has continued even during the stay at home workouts. She has been active, participating in challenges, and taking classes, stepping out her comfort zone
Have You Met Debbie?
- How long have you been a member of Nela Athletics?
I have been a member of Nela since January 2020
- What’s your favorite CrossFit/Ignite achievement?
I’ve seen a lot of improvement with my kettle bell swings, squats and any variation of a deadlift. I would say my favorite Ignite achievement is gaining endurance in general.
- What are three benefits that you have experienced through working out?
- I tend to make much healthier choices
- I’ve gained some of my flexibility back
- I view exercise as a part of my routine and not a chore
- How has your life changed since you first started to now?
Physically, I am more in tune with my body and its needs. I realized the importance of stretching after a particularly challenging class and that my body needs that extra time working on mobility. Emotionally, I’ve become a lot happier overall. I noticed that I’m more positive and that positivity has seeped into all areas of my life.
- Have you had any physical changes that you noticed?
I am not a fan of tracking my fitness journey via a scale; I like to go by how my clothes fit. That being said, my clothes definitely fit different now (I now fit into an old pair of jeans from when I was thinner). But I’m waiting a little longer until I go on a major shopping spree.
- What is your favorite part of the NELA Athletics experience?
Besides the great community environment, I honestly really love all the encouragement I get from the coaches. They truly help me stay motivated and help me achieve the best results during my workouts.
- What are some hobbies or activities you are into besides CrossFit?
I’m a bit of an introvert, so reading is a main hobby of mine. I also like traveling, going to concerts, checking out new exhibits at museums, and hanging out with friends at a cozy wine or dive bar.
- The zombie apocalypse is coming, who are three people you want on your team?
Most likely my parents and my best friend (she’s an RN). My dad would hunt, my mom is resourceful and my best friend can cure any of our injuries. Sounds like a pretty decent group, right?
- If you could be in any movie, what would it be and what character would you play?
I think it would be really interesting to play Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan in The Help. She helped lend a voice to a community who couldn’t speak their truths. I admire her tenacity and progressiveness.